What a good year to honour the Redbricks’ rich history of diversity, solidarity and bridge-building, across generations and cultures, the stories that make this place a truly special neighbourhood, warts and all. 2017 marks the 70th birthday of this unique social housing estate in the corner of Hulme, Manchester.
We’ve got two seasons of events and activities already in the planning, and we’re pretty excited by the offers so far, that keep us busy organising behind the scenes. We’re stoked to have received funding from the Big Lottery that will allow us to celebrate in style. And there could be more… That’s where you come in….
- an evening show-casing films about past community activities,
- gardening sessions to learn new skills and spruce up Leaf Street community garden and other green spaces,
- making celebratory Redbricks’ birthday décor using the sewing machines that are on the estate, plus designing a flag that represents this community,
- a chance to eat together with neighbours at community meals, and
- street theatre workshops building up to a performance at a spring event.
An exciting project throughout the year will be pulling together a team to film events and activities, get trained up in all the necessary skills, and to make a second film interviewing past and present residents to unearth and bring together the life experiences of a huge diversity of people and community achievements.
After a summer break, the second season starts in September. In the planning are:
- up-cycling workshops learning to turn old into new clothes and more,
- a World Meal celebrating the cultures and cuisines of residents,
- an autumn event including a Halloween children’s walk,
- another cinema evening, and
- a fireworks finale towards the end of November.
In addition to what’s already happening, what else would you like to see? What would you like to organise together with other people? Which of these ideas would you like to get involved in?
On 12th February we’re having a launch event. Come along at 3 to eat together and chat informally.
At 4, you’ll get to hear more about what’s planned, be able to ask questions and get involved in any of the exciting events and activities. There’ll then be a chance to offer other activities and workshops, and find people to help organise it with you.
We welcome anything that will bring together different generations, communities and cultures on the Redbricks, and activities and workshops that will be useful to residents. We know that out of all this there’ll be a legacy, whether it’s just a memory of meeting new friends and old, or an ongoing group aiming to improve our lives, here, in this special corner of Hulme.
3-5:30pm, Sunday 12th February 2017, Proctors Youth Centre, Hulme Street
(The food will be healthy, cheap, and halal/kosher/vegan. The venue is fully accessible and alcohol-free)